DIY Wood Letter Wall Art & Painting The Banister White

8:43 PM


One of the projects in My parent’s house that, had been sitting somewhat finished for a while now and, looked like it would never be completed, was the upstairs hallway/staircase. I had tested a few paint colors a while back, so there were a bunch of random colors all over the walls, and it was as if the stairway had been staring at me ever since I tested those colors, beggingto be completely painted. It was really just the staircase walls that needed some loving since I had already painted the upstairs hallway Behr Billowy Down when I painted the living room. Another thing making the staircase/hallway look so awful was the fact that I had painted the banisters in the entry room a few weeks ago and they looked so amazing painted white {not to mention made the world’s biggest impact on the style of the top,} that looking at the hideous oak banister in the upstairs staircase and hallway made me cringe and want to cry every time I walked by. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the staircase is located in the living room, so it was inevitable that I would see it whenever I went over to hang out and watch tv. There was no avoiding the ugly mess I had made. Therefore, I decided it was time to tackle the tall staircase and dark hallway and transform it from drab to fab! 



Here is a before picture of the staircase. As you can see there was a hogepoge of color going on and a disgusting oak banister that needed to go!


So here’s what I did to finish this half finished project I started about a 2 months ago and got super distracted and forgot about.
Step 1: Paint the Walls

I had originally wanted to paint the walls the same color as the upstairs hallways, Behr Billowy Down, despite my attempt to add more color to the house {hence the many paint samples all over the walls}. However, ever since I painted the entry room and small upstairs middle hallway Behr Marquee White Lie, my mom has been obsessed and begged me to paint the staircase hall that color. I agreed, especially since it would play nicely off the small hallway wall which is located directly in front of the staircase. Im glad I listened too, because the walls came out looking fabulous! The color was perfect! Once the walls were painted it was time for the next step toward fixing the horrendous staircase/hallway.
2. Spray Painting the Banister

Once again, I thought I could hand paint all the railings, but about 30 minutes into it I realized that was just a waste of my time and spray paint was the solution to my time consuming problem. Since I didn’t really show any details the last time I spray painted a banister, in Spray Painting an Oak Banister White, I figured I would give a more detailed look into how to spray paint a banister indoors without making a giant mess. 
Here is what you’ll need:

1. 3 Cans of Spray Paint. {Depending on how large the banister you are painting is}

I chose to keep in simple and just paint the banister white so I went with Rustoleum Satin White


2. Plastic Tarp. 

In order to build a “spray paint tent” you’ll need a large plastic tarp which you can get from Home Depot for about $4.

3. Sand paper. 

You need to sand the banister before painting. The best sand paper to use in order to avoid deep indentations and to achieve a smoothe sand is a fine grit sand paper.

After sanding down the banister, which will take hours so brace yourself, you can begin spree painting process. You’ll want to build a spray paint tent. Here’s a look at what I did…

I spray painted one side at a time. Once the paint was dry I moved the tarp to the opposit side, taping it along the ceilings to prevent spray paint from getting on anything, and spray painted the other side. 


Then to give the freshly painted walls and banister some character, I decided to add some wood letters I got at Michaels for $1.99 each to the wall painted with Waverly Inspirations Chalk Paint in Ocean. 


I got the idea from a post I found on Pinterest







I love how it turned out! What do you think?








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

recent posts