The Powder Room Makeover

4:23 PM

So I was painting a desk and bookshelves for my mom when I decided to go ahead and paint her bathroom too. On the main floor of her townhouse there was this awful bathroom painted in a color that reflected an orange tint. Now, I cannot stress this enough, I HATE the color yellow or anything with a yellow tint {which includes orange}. I had enough of the paint I had used to paint her desk and bookshelves left over and decided it would be the perfect color for her bathroom.

For the first step, I painted the bathroom {{insert color here}}. This made a huge difference!! NO MORE ORANGE!!
The second step was to spray paint the hardware fixtures. Around the lights was a silver fixture that really didn't go with the decor that we were going with. I decided to spray paint them with a black metallic finish. I also went through and painted the electrical plates and the other fixtures such as the towel rack, etc with the black metallic paint.
I also replaced the light bulbs that were in the light fixture to reflect a more white light rather than the yellow light it had been reflecting before, and since the bulbs were exposed I got more visually appealing round bulbs.
Note that the before pictures of the lights and the cabinets are not from the same bathroom. I forgot to take before pictures *oops, but they look exactly the same as the ones I refinished.
The third step was to paint the cabinets. Like I have said before, I am not a fan of grainy wood. We decided to simply paint the cabinets white. We sanded them down and then painted them with Behr Ultra Pure White Semi-Gloss paint to give them a fresh, clean look.

The final step was to paint the trim with a fresh coat of paint. We used the same semi-gloss paint we used on the cabinets to continue to give the bathroom a clean crisp look!
I cannot tell you how badly I had been dying to paint this bathroom. It seriously made me cringe every time I went inside or even just walked by. Like many rooms in my mom's townhouse, the bathroom was extremely small and was painted with one of the worst colors possible. I stand firm in my belief that when decorating a small house, always paint rooms light colors that are calming tones {blues, greens, whites, grays, etc}. It made the biggest difference in this bathroom. The next steps will be to replace the mirror with one that has  a little more character, and then tear up the flooring and replace it with tile, but that's a while down the road. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

recent posts